Friday, March 31, 2006

McKinney Has Brought Me Back to Blogging

Why in God's name do the good people of Georgia continue to elect Cynthia McKinney to Congress? This woman is dispicable and incompetent, yet she wins elections. She has made numerous anti-semetic remarks, and holds a general contempt for whites, yet morons continue to vote for her.

Now she has hauled off and hit a police officer who stopped her to ask her to indentify herself while she was entering the capitol. She had a new hairstyle and was not wearing her Congressional pin and the officer didn't recognize her. Now, of course, she is playing the race card. Poor Cynthia. America has held her down and quelled her dreams to such a great extent that all she has been able to achieve in life is being elected to Congress. Must be a tough life.

Below is her publicly issued statement:

Statement of Cynthia McKinney Re: Repeated Harassment from Capitol Hill Police

I have served as a Member of Congress for more than 11 years.

Throughout my tenure in Congress, I seem to evoke memory loss, especially from certain police officers who claim not to be able to recognize my face while I go to work everyday, representing the people of Georgia's 4th Congressional District.

Washington, DC and local newspapers, as well as authors of books, have carried my "working while black" stories of such encounters on Capitol Hill. In fact, the movie American Blackout candidly captures just such an encounter in one of its more humorous moments when after a two-year hiatus from Congress, a black police officer recognizes me and welcomes me back to Washington, and then just across the street, a few yards away, a white police officer approaches me to ask me what office I am with. In the film I remark, "Some things never change. That's what Tupac said."

Sadly, there are only 14 black women Members of Congress. And surely our faces are distinguishable. But why my face is continually unrecognizable can only be answered by these offending police officers. Capitol Hill Police are given face recognition instructions as a part of their official training. Capitol Hill Police are required to recognize, greet, and distinguish Members of Congress as a part of their official role and responsibilities. In fact, according to the US Capitol Police, their mission is to protect and support the Congress in meeting its Constitutional responsibilities. The US Capitol Police mission statement makes no distinction about selective application of its mission depending upon whether a Member of Congress is black, woman, or has a new hairstyle.

But, honestly, this incident is not about wearing a Congressional pin or changing my hairstyle.

It is true that I have changed my hairstyle. It is true that at the time I was not wearing my pin. But many Members of Congress aren't wearing their pins today. Just in the last hour at least 8 Members of Congress have been spotted speaking from the well of the House without their pins and even more have been seen on the Hill today not wearing their Congressional pin. How many of them were stopped by Capitol Hill Police? Do I have to contact the police every time I change my hairstyle? How do we account for the fact that when I wore my braids every day for 11 years, I still faced this problem, primarily from certain white police officers.

This morning at approximately 8:57 am, I was going to a Budget Committee meeting due to start at 9:00 am. I was rushing to my meeting when a white police officer yelled to me. He approached me, bodyblocked me, physically touching me. I used my arm to get him off of me. I told him not to touch me several times. He asked for my ID and I showed it to him. He then let me go and I proceeded to my meeting and I assume that the Police Officer resumed his duties. I have counseled with the Sergeant-at-Arms and Acting Assistant Chief Thompson several times before and counseled with them again on today's incident. I offered also to counsel with the offending police officer. I have agreed to try to remember to wear my pin and to notify Capitol Hill police every time I change my hairstyle.

My father was a police officer. After the tragedies on September 11th, recognizing the strain that we all were under, I wrote a letter to Sergeant-at-Arms Livingood reminding him that police officers were operating under great stress while working long hours. I asked that they be allowed to use their cell phones to contact their families to know that they were alright. No one else did this. But I did. I will not let this or any other incident dampen my resolve to support those whose work is vital and supports us. It is, however, a shame that while I conduct the country's business, I have to stop and call the police to tell them that I've changed my hairstyle so that I'm not harassed at work.

-- To change our lives, we must first change our minds. -from Open Your Mind, Open Your Life: A Little Book of Eastern Wisdom by Taro Gold

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counters
High Speed Internet Service
Blogarama - The Blog Directory