Monday, October 25, 2004

Why I'm Voting For George W. Bush

Here is an editorial I wrote for my school's newspaper about why I'm voting for Bush:

There are several responses I get when I tell fellow Californians that I am supporting George W. Bush for President of the United States. “What the hell is wrong with you?” is probably the most common. These individuals are doubly dismayed when I tell them why I am supporting W: Because I like his foreign policy.

I’m sure I’ve offended at least half of you by now, but let me give you a little context. Despite detractors that call me a blind partisan, I did not vote for Bush in 2000. I doubted his experience and ability to lead. Perhaps I bought into the media hype that suggested he was an idiot and a moron. Despite my poor decision at the polls in 2000, Bush won the election and has shaped up to be one of our nation’s greatest leaders.

George W. Bush is man of conviction, and his foreign policy displays that conviction. W felt it was in our nation’s best interest to disarm and dethrone the Taliban and Saddam Hussein. He didn’t need any polls, surveys or foreign dignitaries to tell him he was right. He knew he was right and acted. In a recent interview, Senator Kerry was asked whether it was the right decision to invade Iraq. His answer: “It depends on the outcome.” Unfortunately, Mr. Kerry, the President of the United States doesn’t have the luxury of knowing the outcome before making a bold choice. He must use his best judgment and act in the best interest of the people of our country.

In 1963, shortly after the death of President Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson demanded sweeping Civil Rights reform. Some said that, since he wasn’t popularly elected as President, he had no mandate. Key advisors asked him to wait until after the ’64 election to bring such a divisive policy to the forefront. Opponents to the legislation threatened that Johnson would lose every Southern state if he pressed the issue. Johnson wouldn’t wait to do what he knew in his heart was right. He wanted the American people to know where he stood on the issue of Civil Rights. When the dust settled, Johnson passed the legislation and won the Presidential election by the largest margin in history.

At the end of the second Presidential Debate, the President spoke candidly to the American people saying, “We may not always agree, but at least you know where I stand.” Bush has never let polls sway his decisions. He doesn’t consider political ramifications when making the tough call. Unlike Kerry, his opinions on key issues don’t change with every passing day. I respect a man who lets me know where he stands. I distrust a man who doesn’t.

Regardless of the outcome of next week’s election, I am confident that history will judge George W. Bush as one of our greatest Presidents. Churchill was deemed a hawk in England for wanting to quell the growing Nazi threat. Reagan was hated in most of Europe because of his aggressive stance against the Soviets. Bush is hated and ridiculed around the world for his bullish stance against terrorists and the nations that harbor them. In fifty years time, however, the wisdom of his policies will be obvious to all. Cast your vote for George W. Bush on November 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counters
High Speed Internet Service
Blogarama - The Blog Directory